Edit in profile section

Welcome to My Page

Adam Gump

Thank you for visiting my fundraising page! I am raising funds and awareness for Shatterproof, a national nonprofit organization committed to protecting our loved ones from addiction to prescription and illicit drugs and alcohol and ending the stigma and suffering of those affected by this disease. I am also sharing my story, Adam Gump's story to help raise awareness and funds for this GREAT organization.

Shatterproof is changing the conversation about addiction. They are saving lives by helping pass laws that prevent more of our loved ones from becoming addicted to prescription opioids and supporting first responders who can rescue those who overdose. Your support helps expand their efforts to support prevention, treatment, rescue and recovery of addiction.

Please support my fundraiser by making a donation to Shatterproof today. Together, we are stronger than addiction. We Are Shatterproof!


My name is Adam and this is my story, my 10 year struggle with chronic pain, depression, anxiety and addiction. I will start by explaining what I did that started my back pain. I just simply over worked it, I started bailing hay and straw at a very young age, worked at a Sod Farm throughout High School, started as a Commercial Electrician my senior year and also worked at UPS. For the next 6 years I would work for an Electrical Contractor for 8 hours a day and then go work at UPS for 4-5 hours at night. Both jobs were very labor demanding but I loved it. My 4th year at UPS was in 2003 and my back was bad, I tried physical Therapy, cortisone shots, and nerve ablations, Chiropractors, and Acupuncture (which was a very unique experience) Nothing worked or I should say nothing worked for more than a few weeks. I was left with working two jobs in pain and taking pain medicine to get through my days. I visited a Dr.at FWO and he suggested surgery, I was 24 years old. I opted to have the surgery and so it began, an almost 10 year period that included 8 major back surgeries, over 50 cortisone shots, several nerve ablations, 4 discograms and Lord knows how much pain medicine I was flying through. I was on pain medicine 100% of the time during these 10 years, I was either in pain because I had just has a surgery or in pain because the surgery did not work. I had seen all the pain clinics in Fort Wayne by the end. My marriage through all of this was fading, fading due to my inability to function after work, due to me being “in a cloud” all the time from the pain medicine, due to our poor financial situation form all the doctors, surgeries, pain clinics, etc,due to no one including myself knowing what was going on and due to me becoming addicted physically and mentally to pain medicine. My wife and I somehow still managed to keep the marriage going although we had other tough times outside of my issues. We did have two beautiful children right in the middle of all this craziness but it was hard for me to perform my Fatherly duties. During the first surgery they found that I have Degenerative Disc Disease and Spinal Stenosis on top of a bulged disc from over working it. It was finally clear why I was always in pain. My surgeries included multiple fusions and multiple hardware sets to try to stabilize the disc that were infected (L5-S1 area) after the 5th surgery it was suggested I try a Spinal Cord Neurostimulator, this was a last resort because it would not fix anything, only cover up the pain and they were hesitant to perform this surgery because I was so young. I competed a 2 week trial period with it where I wore the battery/computer unit on a belt and the wires were going through my skin with a stitched up incision. The trial period went well and it seemed to help. This unit created Electrical pulses to my nerves which then tricked the nerves into not sending the pain messages to my brain. At age 31 I was preparing to have my 6th back surgery, this surgery was being performed by a different surgeon, one who specialized in Neurostimulators. They placed the unit in my belly and the wires ran from the unit to the top part of my back where they landed them on my nerves, everything was inside of me. This was the first surgery where I did not get cut open at the bottom of my back. I now had had a 6” incision on my lower back, upper back, and belly. I will add that I had complications with all my surgeries where I had to use a catheter for a couple weeks after each one and my incisions were not always healing right, I spent extra time in the Hospital with each one. I estimate I spent a month in the hospital between the 8 surgeries. After this 6th surgery something was not right from the start, the incision in my belly was not healing at all and after 3 weeks it was infected, I was heading back to the hospital to have my 7th surgery less than a month after my 6th surgery and this surgery would be to get the stimulator out. They took the battery/computer unit out of my belly but left the wires in. 4 days after this surgery I was ready to leave the Hospital but still needed antibiotic treatments to ensure the infection was killed so they left the IV in and I went to the Hospital every morning and every evening in the ER for two weeks to receive antibiotic treatments. During the next 10 months I recovered and healed but was in a lot of pain still, I was using more pain medicine than what was prescribed to me and was going out of my way to find the exact same pain medicine on the street so I could keep it all a secret that I was abusing the meds. I visited a new Surgeon after being scared of the one before him due to my infection, this surgeon was Dr. Daniel Nolan and I liked him from the start. He suggested I try getting the stimulator put back in me since it did seem to help. So I was preparing for my 8th surgery. This time my body accepted and I healed slow but well. After this last surgery I found myself still in a lot of pain even while using the stimulator and I was taking even more pills, I was briefly seen by a doctor that continued to raise my dosage of pain medicine, he is now in jail by the way. I did not understand this continued pain and was taking trips into the Dr. all the time to get the stimulator tweaked, during this they would hold a wand over my stomach and be able to adjust the way the stimulator worked, sometimes this helped but it never lasted. I found myself turning the stimulator up so high that I could not walk because I was being shocked too hard. (I do strongly believe that these stimulators are an excellent thing to try, I was just in a spot that I did not realize I was in) I started to rely on the pills more and more and use the stimulator less and less. I fell into depression and anxiety deeper and deeper, missing work, taking to many pills, not sleeping well at all, feeling alone in this battle I was in and I had become an addict both emotionally and physically addicted to the pain medication. There were lots of times I laid on the couch in so much pain crying and not wanting to be in this world anymore. I had Faith in the Lord but I also thought that this was just how it was supposed to be for me even though I did not understand why, I would think well why would the Lord take away a kid from their parents? Well It happens and this is happening to, I did not understand it but it was happening. My mind/body would wake me up at night every hour craving more drugs to take the pain away, it got to the point where the pills were not working at all and I would resort into taking more of my anxiety pills than prescribed just to pass out. The pain pill I was on was Oxycontin and I called it “the devil” and for a good reason. I wanted to get off of the devil so I decided to quit cold turkey, not a good idea. I took the week off work and paced around the house and garage for 4 days in shock, throwing up, not eating, not sleeping, my wife kept the kids away and only had them around to sleep in their beds at night. I prayed a lot during this time and I also cried more than ever but crying did make me feel better at least. One day my Sister called and gave me Bible verses over the phone and asked me to write them down. I have attached those from that day, I had them laminated last year. You can tell by my handwriting that I was in shock. Those verses I wrote down gave me hope to keep going and I constantly found myself looking at them and reading them and realizing “My Sister has so much love for me” and it really gave me the push to keep going. I lasted 4 days and looking back I am surprised I did not last longer because during this period I was not in a lot of pain and that was because my body was in such shock from quitting the Oxy but that was very uncomfortable in itself and I was looking for a way out. I am a very lucky man to be here today because I could have died from that shock, I was after all on the heaviest dose of Oxy than I had heard of. I ended up finding a way out and buying some extra strength Vicodin off a drug dealer friend of a friend and that Vicodin stopped the withdraws. I was now off the devil but still on pills and still in pain. Months went by and my marriage had failed completely my life was a wreck and by this time I was going through a divorce and living alone in an apartment, I made the best of the situation when I had my kids but was not myself by any means. Looking back it is incredible to think how I must have been around my kids. I do believe they were young enough to hopefully not remember it all. I thought no one understood what I was going through except maybe other patients of chronic pain that I would see in the waiting rooms. I was the unhappiest I had ever been and did not want anything to do with this world but those kids and amazing people like my Sister gave me a reason to not give up and everyone needs a reason to keep going on whether it be a friend, relative, spouse, the Lord, a reason to keep fighting and fighting. I must say my Parents were awesome the whole time as were my Brothers but it was my Sister and the kids that seemed to get through to me the most, not enough yet to get me out of the hell I felt I was in but enough to keep me going and that’s all I needed at the time. It was now late June 2012 and I prayed and prayed that something would change and one night while not sleeping I prayed at my bedside like I had never prayed before and cried and cried asking him to please help me and get me out of this. After praying I put in my headphones and went for a walk around town, it was early in the morning like 4 am and I listened to some of my favorites and I do not remember exactly what went through my head to make me think of it but I do remember thinking “maybe it’s the pills that are creating the pain and my body is all healed but the pills have complete control over all this” I started to research this that morning while taking more pills, especially more anxiety pills I remember and I did find some articles backing up the theory. I believe I finally got a couple hours of sleep that morning and I got in my car to go get something up town (I was heavily medicated) not sure where I went but on the way back to my apartment I ran straight into the back of a FedEx truck, I remember being really scared and knowing I should not have been driving so I did not stop and went to my apartment which was only half way across town. The local cop that was on duty at the time was right behind me. He asked if I knew what I just did and said you are messed up on something. He gave me a breathalyzer and I was clean for alcohol. He then said “Gump I do not know what you are on and do not care but if I see this car move today I will arrest you” I just realized that I was getting off the hook because he said the FedEx truck did not want to press charges or turn in a claim because nothing happened to the truck. Wow what a time I was having. I went up to my apartment then came back down and started walking outside. I knew at this time that if I did not get help I would not make it much longer before I was either dead or in jail. I remembered the whole is the medication the driving force behind the pain and I knew it was the driving force behind me being really messed up so I then looked up “most beautiful rehabs in the country” and the place at the top of the page with a huge ad was Unity Recovery in Hobe Sound, FL and it looked like a vacation. I called the 800 number and remember talking and sharing my story with a gentlemen that was so understanding and I’m thinking “wow this is awesome it’s like he has been through this” and he told me I needed help immediately and I was comfortable with that. He asked me how soon I could get to the Indianapolis Airport and I told him. He asked for my insurance information and said he would call me right back. 20-30 minutes later he called me back and said your flight leaves out of Indy in 6 hours. I told him I could not drive and could not let my car move or I would get arrested. He asked if I knew someone that could drive me and I said yes my ex Sister in law (who I was still close to and to this day I am still friends with the whole ex family and friends with my ex) I knew she did not have a car at the time but there was still the car not supposed to move thing so I called the police and they met me at my apartment and I called my ex sister in law and she meant us there and I took off to Indy. I was dropped off 1 ½ hours early and hugged my ex sister in law good bye and told her thanks and that she could drive my car for the next 5 weeks. I was in the air to FL and don’t remember much until I was in FL. By this time I was going through heavy withdraws and was in bad shape but I was checked into detox and they immediately took my vitals and then gave me medicine to relax me. I spent the next week in Detox safely coming off of the drugs that I had been on for 10 years and learning to live without them. It was a very tough week emotionally but I was not alone in fact I had 50 some other people in there with me going through the same thing and the most incredible thing happened to me: 2 days into detox my pain went completely away, 100%. This scared me at first because I was not used to not having pain and could not stop thinking about “what if it comes back?” but the pain stayed away and did not come back, I felt like a true miracle had happened and could not believe that what I had hoped was going on was going on, the pain medicine and anxiety medicine was creating my pain. I learned that week that my body had healed itself finally from all the trauma of all the surgeries and my mind and body was trying to tell me something and it accomplished that. After the full week in Detox I had made new friends, friends that had been addicted to pills, alcohol, and a lot of them very heavy drugs. We learned to laugh together and be sober together. We were then moved to a campus were we would spend the next 4 weeks together with addicts (I am and will always be an addict) that had been there already. There was 4 guys to a house and 4 girls to a house, 2 per room, 2 rooms in the house. Each person had his/her own queen size bed, got $75.00/week allowance for food, we shared a kitchen together were we cooked are own food. We shared a living room that had nice furniture and a huge big screen TV and we spent 9-10 hours a day attending classes off campus, learning how to live sober and we also learned Yoga, Meditation, and how to cope with our feelings. I learned that for me writing a diary helped so I wrote a lot. We had breaks during the day were we could spend an hour at the beach or an hour at the gym, some days could do both. At the end of each day we would relax around picnic tables or swim in the pool that was on campus. We would often spend the last hour watching tv shows. And on the weekends we did not have but 1-2 classes a day so we could spend half the day at the beach or around the pool and this is also when we would go shopping for our food and plan our meals with our roommates. Every Sunday we all cooked on grills that were also on campus and ate as a community. During these 4 weeks we would go to AA meetings and NA meetings and they were very eye opening. I missed my kids tremendously during my time in FL and that was the hardest part of it all. I was allowed to call them twice a day we had hours were we could call and it was the happiest but also the saddest parts of my day because my then 4 and 6 year old would ask me when I am coming home and their Mom had a calendar for them to keep track. I remember my 6 year old crying so hard saying Daddy I can’t wait that long. It was so hard but I knew they needed a healthy Daddy so I pushed through it. My 4 year old was not as conscious about the timeframe I was down there so she did not take it as hard until the 2nd-3rd week then she missed her Daddy. The whole time we told them Daddy was in FL working, boy will I ever have a story to tell them when they are all grown up. I made it through the 5 weeks and left for home the first week of August. My parents were meeting me at the Indianapolis Airport but what I did not know was that my boy was going to be with them. I will always remember standing at the top of some stairs at the airport and looking down, there was my Mom, Dad and my 6 year old son. Dawson, my Son was crying but smiling and I lost it, I had tears of joy flowing out and hugging my son after not seeing him for 5 weeks was an amazing feeling. I was driven to Busco to my ex-wife’s house to see my Daughter and as soon as we hit the driveway she was running and smiling with her hands out to hug me. I was home. I was sober. My pain was gone. I was back to the Adam that everyone missed so much. I am about 7 weeks away from being 2 years clean. I have not been in pain during the last 2 years. I am grateful. I want to share my story and hopefully help others realize that there is a way out and maybe what you are going through can be stopped. I pray for people who are in situations like I was in and I pray they find peace. I have told a little bit of my story to a couple people that needed help but have never typed my story out in full. I hope and pray that my story can help you realize that there is lots of life out there to live and lots to look forward to. Please keep Faith and know that you are not alone, you are never alone, and you just need to reach out. I am available to talk to if you would like. I want to help and be there for you if you need someone that has went through similar experiences with chronic pain, depression, anxiety and addiction. Tonight I will say a special prayer for you.

Yours truly,

Adam J. Gump

August, 1st 2017:

I am now 4 years clean from pain pills and 5 months sober from alcohol. 2 years ago I began drinking socially and with my addictive personality I found myself drinking more and more. On nights I had my kids I would stay under control and drink 3-4 beers while they were awake but then when I laid them to bed I would go to the freezer and pullout vodka or whiskey and mix up 3 strong drinks at once, I would start on one of the drinks and put the other 2 in the freezer and drink them too all within an hour, I would repeat this sometimes 2-3 times a night until I passed out from too much alcohol. I would repeat this most nights and still make it to work but I was exhausted, I could not live like this and expect to stay alive long, I had just heard the news that a woman I would have graduated with but she moved to a different school our freshman year had passed away from boozing vodka too hard. This scared me. I continued to drink though and somehow managed to find my current fiancé’ and best friend. She was and is great to me and helped me stopped the alcohol. I stopped cold turkey after crying in the shower one morning and praying to God to help me find the strength. I am now 5 months sober from alcohol and for the first time I am sober from everything.
Today I went and visited a Neurosurgeon and in 13 days I am going to have the last chapter of all of this closed, he is going to take out the spinal cord neurostimulator that I have not used I almost 4 years. The wire that are implanted in my upper back bother me and tug and pull on my skin, the battery is just sitting in my belly not being used or charged, it is time to get all of this out of me and be done 100% with this. Besides the tugging of the skin from the wires I have no discomfort and could keep the system in me but psychologically I need this out of me to move on and move past everything. Having this system in me does limit me to some activities so there is another reason.
My fiancé and I talked to the Neurosurgeon today about me being on pain medicine after this major surgery and I am scared, absolutely but this time I will be on the medicine because I will be in actual pain from being cut open> My fiancé will monitor my pain medicine usage closely and I am confident I will be able to drop the pain medicine a week or so after this surgery. The pain medicine for surgery pain will be nothing like high dose of oxycontin.

I pray that in writing this that I have no more updates from coming off of substances but I live this sober life day by day and try not to take the days for granted. I ask for prayers as I enter this one last surgery. I am an addict and an alcoholic but I can chose every morning after waking up to not drink and to not fall back into pain pill addiction. I am a very strong and confident 38 year old who has a wonderful career, relationship with the best woman, strong support system from family and I have God backing me up. I am happy, I am free and I will always fight for this wonderful sober life, ONE DAY AT A TIME

Adam Gump.



raised of $1,000 goal

Recent Donations

1. RPRebecca Prater
In honor of Adam Gumps success ??
2. AAdam Gump
Skip the nest case of pop, buy cheaper cigarettes for a week, don't treat yourself to that coffee for just 2 days, do you really need another pair of shoes? Make dinner with your friend instead of going out once. There are MANY ways to come up with $10.00 to donate to this awesome organization that helps to save lives! 1 in 3 Americans are affected by addiction! 1 in 3!!!!! So why can't I get more than 2 people to donate for me? For loved ones that are deep into addiction? 1 in 3 of you readin this is either an addict, alcoholic or you are affected by one. You can chose your own payment amount too! Donate what you can! I am alive and well today thanks to awareness and help from organizations such as Shatterproof, why are we so selfish? I bet 50% or more can afford to donate $10.00, I am disappointed in the general Public.
3. DCDonna Crowl
Adam, We are so proud of you for sharing your story and overcoming this. Amazing!
4. ?Anonymous